Three killed, hundreds displaced in fresh Bududa landslides

By LEONARD MUKOOLI & FRED WAMBEDE

Wednesday June 5, 2019
Three killed, Dozens missing in fresh Bududa landslides

Survivors wade through the mud. Photo by Fred Wambede  

BUDUDA- Three people have died and dozens are missing after fresh landslides caused by heavy rain, hit several villages in Buwali and Bukalasi sub-countries in Bududa District.

The landslides occurred at about 11:30 pm on Tuesday after four hours of rain that started pounding the area at about 7 pm.

The most affected villages are Shisakali parish in Buwali Sub-county, where an 8-year-old girl was buried by mud.

The girl was a pupil of Bundesi Primary School.

Ms Esther Nashuwu, a survivor and mother of the girl told Daily Monitor that her daughter died when debris buried their house.

“I heard noise from the hill and I ran out of the house to find out what was happening. Within seconds, the rolling mud had covered the house and I could not save my daughter,” she said.

In Bunamwamba Parish, in the same sub-county, two people reportedly died after their houses were swept by gushing water in Suume village after River Summe burst its banks.

Reports indicate that several families have been displaced.

Mr Samson Wambete, a resident of Bukobero and a local leader, said they cannot establish the exact number of people who have been killed or the number of houses destroyed.

He, however, said several people are missing.

“We are in shock and helpless because apart from the lives lost, several houses, animals and crops have been washed away,” he said.

Mr Patrick Nabutayi Kibeti, the Bududa District communications officer, said many people are feared dead and dozens are displaced.

“We are here with some survivors but their stories are touching. We are trying to establish the number of dead,” he said.

Mr Godfrey Watenga, the area Member of Parliament, described the incident as “nasty” adding that they have not yet established the exact number of people who have been affected.

The government recently started relocating landslide victims in the district to Bunambutye Sub-county in Bulambuli District.
More than 90 families who survived the October 2018 landslides have so far been relocated to the area where 101 houses were built out of the planned 900 houses.

Mr Julius Mucunguzi, a communications advisor in the Office of the Prime Minister said via social media that a team from the Disaster Preparedness and Management Department has been sent to the area to establish the facts.

Over 100,000 people live the slopes of Mt. Elgon.