Minister Janet Museveni condemns Pre-registration exams - National | NTV

Minister Janet Museveni condemns Pre-registration exams

By JOSEPH TUMWESIGYE

Friday January 17, 2020

Educations Minister Janet Museveni arrives at Kampala Parents School for the release of the 2019 PLE exams results (Damali Mukhaye picture) 

In Summary

- 2019 PLE Exams released

- 695,468 students sat for the exams

- Teachers Leading Examination MalPractice

- Janet Museveni against Pre-registration exams

The Minister of Education and Sports, Janet Museveni has condemned schools that carry out pre-registration exams. She voiced her disappointment at Kampala Parents School on Friday where the 2019 Primary Leaving Examinations (PLE) results were being released.

“Teachers must stop dictating the destiny of young people, “ Minister Museveni said at the release ceremony.

She said this after showing satisfaction in the increased number of students graduating at various levels of education over the past few years. 617,150 students passed the 2019 PLE exams which is an increase to 2018’s 599,593.

Janet Museveni also criticised the behaviour of teachers who are leading students into examination Malpractices. This was after UNEB officials revealed that some students may have failed because the exams had different questions from those they were expecting and had prepared for with the aid of teachers.

“It is sad to know that teachers are leading students into examination malpractice,” the Minister said.

In November 2019, some teachers were arrested by Police with the aid Of UNEB for malpractice.

WATCH MORE: Teacher arrested over UCE exam malpractice

The 2019 PLE results have been released. UNEB Executive Secretary, Dan Odong confirmed that 695,468 students sat for the exams and of these 51.7% are girls and the other 48.3% are boys.

“This is the 5th year in row that we have registered more girls sitting for PLE compared to Boys,” Odong said at the PLE release ceremony.

Of those who sat, 617,150 candidates passed.

It is also important to note that over 68% of those that sat for the 2019 PLE exams are beneficiaries of the Universal Primary Education (UPE). 31.8% were not. Special needs students were 1,315 students and the incarcerated were 56.