Court Orders separate trials for the Kanyamunyus and Munywangari - National | NTV

Court Orders separate trials for the Kanyamunyus and Munywangari

By JOSEPH TUMWESIGYE, EDWARD MUHUMUZA

Wednesday January 8, 2020

Mathew Kanyamunyu and Cynthia Munywangari in court on 8th January 2020  

The High court has ordered for separate trials of the three accused of murdering Kenneth Akena, a child rights activist. The three accused are Mathew Kanyamunyu, his brother Joseph Kanyamunyu and Cynthia Munywangari.

The order from the high court comes after the Defense lawyers asked for a delay in trial to await Joseph Kanyamunyu who could not appear in court due to health reasons. Today, Wednesday 8th January 2020 was when court scheduled for the trial to start.

The order means that the high court can proceed with the trial of Mathew Kanyamunyu and Cynthia Munywangari who are present at the high court.

Earlier on, court was delayed for hours as a French interpreter was sought to assist Cynthia Munywangari

Mathew Kanyamunyu and his girlfriend, Cynthia Munywangari were arrested in 2016 on suspicion that the former drew a gun at Akena after the deceased reportedly knocked his car at Lugogo in Kampala on 12th November 2016. The deceased had reportedly gone to apologise to Kanyamunyu after he knocked his car and also make good of the damage but Kanyamunyu instead allegedly lowered the window of his car and shot him.

More: Businessman Kanyamunyu arrested for killing man

More: Murder suspect, Mathew Kanyamunyu seeks bail again

The police said Akena had, in his dying declarations, told his cousin that it was Kanyamunyu who shot him after he accidentally knocked his car.